Fly Like a Girl in a Male-Dominated Field
It is well-known that females are under-represented in STEM education and career fields. Being in the male-dominated field of aviation maintenance, we at National Aviation Academy (NAA) know this!
It takes immense bravery and courage to go above stereotypes and social constructs to pursue dreams and goals that others may not believe were “designed” for you, regardless of your gender.
That is why we couldn’t be more proud to see one of our previous summer camp youth, Afton Kincade, featured in an upcoming award-winning documentary, Fly Like A Girl.
11-year old Afton reached out to NAA after learning about our 6-week summer camp for high school students interested in exploring careers in aviation maintenance. Impressed with Afton’s list of accomplishments, ambition, and insistence, NAA made an exception, making her the only female and youngest participant in the program.
“Fly Like A Girl” will be in Theaters and on Demand October 9th!
- Tammy Duckworth, United States Senator and previous U.S. Army Helicopter Pilot and
- Patty Wagstaff, three-time U.S. National Aerobatic Champion and National Aviation Hall of Fame inductee
- Nicole Scott, Flight Engineer, and Retired NASA Astronaut
Their discussions include personal experiences coming into aviation and the challenges they had to overcome to be some of the best in their field.
Learning Experiences for Youth
It is often that we find our passion through fun, educational experiences! Below is a list of organizations, clubs, and events to explore. See each link for details about opportunities in your area!
- Experimental Aircraft Association – Young Eagles For those of you who are 8-17 years old, you can fly in experimental aircraft FOR FREE. There are Young Eagles events that happen throughout the year at different EAA Chapter Locations. Check out the website for calendar event updates, permission forms, and other fun opportunities to explore!
- Balloon Federation of America – Junior Balloonist Program Open to ages 13-17, and under the leadership of certified pilots, teens will have the opportunity to not only learn how ballooning works, but also experience balloon tethering!
- Women In Aviation International (WAI) Gain access to several hundred thousand dollars in scholarships and connections to the industry by becoming a member. Men and women are eligible for membership! Check out their website to see current happenings, upcoming events, and industry highlights!
If you are interested in learning more about aviation maintenance, be sure to request more information below and plan to see our training labs!