On September 17, 1787, our Founding Fathers met for the last time to sign the document that they created. More than two centuries later, Americans observe this important day in our nation’s history. On this day each year, NAA celebrates the signing of the United States Constitution to inform our community of the rights and privileges of being an American citizen.
What Makes the U.S. Constitution Special?
- The U.S. Constitution is known as the “supreme law of the land”; no law may be passed that challenges its principles.
- The Constitution is also known as a “living” document because it can be amended to meet the needs of an evolving nation. Since the Constitution came into force in 1789, it has only been amended 27 times.
- The first ten amendments, known as the Bill of Rights, offer specific protections of individual liberty and justice. They also place restrictions on the powers of government.
- The majority of the 17 later amendments expand individual civil rights protections.
- Others amendments address issues related to federal authority or modify government processes and procedures. Amendments to the United States Constitution, unlike ones made to many constitutions worldwide, are appended to the document.
- All four pages of the original U.S. Constitution are written on parchment.
Check out the National Constitution Center website to learn more about your rights as an American citizen. Explore our Constitution’s meaning and its various interpretations. Consider what you would change about our Constitution if you were to take the opportunity!
Bake Sale Thursday, September 17
The National Aviation Academy Solid Rocket Boosters (NAASRB) will highlight Constitution Day by putting on a Bake Sale for students and staff this Thursday, September 17! All proceeds raised will go to the National Aviation Academy Scholarship fund. It will be a fun and informative day for all and an important reminder to be engaged citizens!
THE DEMAND IS REAL...
Ready to start your career as an aviation maintenance professional? Fill out the form below for more information!